Can I Get Paid for Missed Work Following a Car Accident?

When you are injured in a car accident, that instant everything changes. Many times, car accident injuries mean not only medical care and attention, but also a long recovery process, especially when the injuries are severe. More often than not, making a full recovery requires missing work. lost wages from car accident lost wages from car accident

So, the question is: Can you get paid for missing work after a car accident? Luckily, the answer is generally yes. Just because you are suffering physically, does not mean you should have to suffer financially for injuries that you did not cause. Lost wage compensation is available (and an extremely common area of financial recovery) but requires filing a personal injury claim.

What Are Lost Wages?

Simply put, lost wages are the wages you would have earned by going to work had you not been injured. For example, if injuries from a car accident make it so you miss two weeks of work, lost wages would be the money you would have earned by working for those two weeks. If your injuries are more severe and require a longer recovery (such as several months), your lost wages from car accident are still available and would be calculated from the time of your injury to the time you can return to work.

Lost wages are typically covered by an insurance company. If another driver caused the accident that resulted in your injuries, that driver’s insurance company will often be responsible for covering your lost wages. In a more serious case, you may have to file a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver, in which case the driver’s personal funds would contribute to covering your lost wages.

Calculating and Proving Lost Wages from Car Accident

In normal cases, lost wages are calculated by simply multiplying your pay rate by the amount of work you missed because of your injury. If you get paid $15 an hour and missed 40 hours of work, your lost wages would be $600. If you are a salaried worker, lost wages will simply be calculated by looking at how much of your salary you would have earned during the time you missed work.

Proving your lost wages from a car accident is generally simple. You will typically need:

  • A letter from your doctor—this letter describes your injuries and your treatment/recovery process. This letter details how your injuries prevented you from working.
  • A letter from your employer—this letter is to verify that you did indeed miss work because of your injuries. You will also need proof of your salary or hourly wage (usually in the form of a pay stub).

If you are self-employed or work on commission, calculating and proving lost wages from a car accident can be trickier, however it can be done, so don’t give up on getting the financial recovery you deserve. A good lawyer can help make sure you get the money you deserve.

Get Financial Help While You Wait

If you’re having trouble meeting your expenses while waiting for a legal settlement for lost wages from a car accident, we can help. At USClaims, we offer pre-settlement funding, if a case is qualified for pre-settlement funding then we would purchase a portion of the proceeds of the anticipated court judgment or settlement for some cash now. USClaims only gets paid if a case is won or has reached a settlement! Apply now or call us today at 1-877-USCLAIMS to learn more.

Contact us to get started
* Means required fields and must be entered.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Apply Now

Educational Resources

How Common Are Wrongful Convictions?

Sadly, wrongful convictions are far more common than anyone may realize. Wrongful convictions often devastate families, ruin lives, and leave victims with significant financial problems. While there

Are Slip and Fall Cases Hard to Win?

Just because a person slips and falls on another person’s property does not mean that there is a personal injury case or that the property owner is

Apply Now

Have questions? checkout our FAQ section

What Customers Are Saying

Have Questions?

Our pre-settlement funding experts will walk you through our entire process.
anim1 anim2 anim3 anim4 anim5

Any Questions?

USClaims Makes Litigation Funding Simplified:

Who's The Funding For?

Select an option:

Plaintiff Initial Funding

Plaintiff - Subsequent Funding

Who can we contact at your Law Firm to finish the application:

Attorney Funding

USClaims is making your Litigation Funding Simplified. Simply provide us with your attorney information and the amount you need and we will take it from here.